Thursday, August 5, 2010

A very important person

 
 Julia Donaire, my abuela
(today)

 My abuela and I 
(39 years ago)

I want to take some time and write about a person that has influenced my life in a very personal and intimate way, my abuela.  She is the person that has made me into the woman I am and that constantly sets the bar higher for me to strive to be a better person in the future. Her life was not an easy one but yet she always has a smile on her face.  She constantly puts herself in service to those she loves.  Her family always comes first. She deserves to be celebrated every day, not just on special occasions. I am a firm believer that you must celebrate the people you love while their alive, once their gone you lost your opportunity to tell them how much you care. 
My abuela has been there for me since birth.  She sold everything she owned, left her friends and family and flew for the first time to another country not knowing the language.  She did this for her daughter and grand-daughter.  You see, my biological dad died 3 months before I was born - my mom was all alone and grieving.  She has been there for us ever since, extraordinary. Especially nowadays, when we are all about entitlements, such self sacrifice is very uncommon.  Wish she were here...
I haven't seen her for 6 years and this weighs heavily on my soul.  I miss her so much it hurts to acknowledge.  I wish I had the money to pick my family up and take them to Argentina to meet her but I can't.  I wish she was younger and she could fly here to visit (she doesn't want to travel by herself).  I keep thinking and wishing that God has a plan for us and in his unequivocal knowledge he knows what is best and that he will reunite us someday somehow.  I pray every night that she remain healthy, she needs to meet you Carr.  You are the product of everything she wanted me to have, you are what she prepared me for.  She can't pass until she meets you.  That is my prayer.
August 7th will be her birthday, she will be 84 years old.  Happy Birthday sweet abuela, you are always with me in my heart and in everything I do.  Thank you for being my mentor, my best friend, and my mom at times. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment