Saturday, July 10, 2010

Fourth of July Family Celebration

   I have always wanted a big family.  You know the kind that gets together for special occasions or on Sundays to celebrate the fact they're a big family.  Cousins, uncles, aunts, grandparents, second cousins and great grandparents, all there, with a homemade dish in hand waiting to great you and say "It's been too long!".  
   You see, I come from a small family, my mom is an only child and well, my dad acts like he was.  I didn't have any cousins to play with and my brother was 9 years younger than I.  As a child, I yearned for many brothers and sisters, for aunts and uncles.  It didn't make a difference that my parents friends had children, which I played with.  I wanted an uncle or aunt with annoying cousins, etc.  Today 30 years later and this is still an overwhelming desire in my heart, I had the same wish for my son also.  In God's infinite wisdom, he blessed us with a very large and diverse extended family on my husband's side.  Of course, Carr is too young to fully enjoy this familial bliss, I enjoy it for him.  When I wished for a big family, I really didn't know what I was getting myself into!  It is, to say the least, challenging to remember all the names and titles, and I have been a member for the past 5 years!
   We get together on important holidays or on special occasions like Christmas and the 4th of July!  My father in-law has a large family and my mother in-law also.  Both blended their families into one,  once they married, having 4 children: Marion, Kim, Hunter and my husband Chip.  All of the brothers and sisters married and forming their family, yay cousins for Carr!  Some even have become grandparents!  Carr's Papa is making a family tree for him so he knows how lucky and blessed he is for having such a big family.
   Back to celebrations, Papa's sister Aunt Nancy has enormous family get together at her home for the 4th and for Christmas.  She decorates her home with festive details and always takes the time to great each person that arrives with the warmest of smiles.  Mind you this is an incredible feat because I have seen over 50 guests at her parties with their extended family!

Here are some of my favorite photos of the Loving Family 4th of July Celebration!

 This is before family starting arriving.

 Setting-up

 Meal-time!


 Chip and our nephew Asher

 Papa and Aunt Mimzy

 Mommy and Carr

No comments:

Post a Comment